Friday, August 13, 2010

RUBICON

There aren't many shows this summer that have grabbed my attention... the summer was starting to look bleak. Then I heard rumblings in the TV world of a show called "Rubicon." Mystery and intrigue were the key words thrown around a lot; the show's catchphrase is "not every conspiracy is a theory." I wasn't sure what the show was about in terms of characters or plots, and since it was on AMC I wasn't really sure I was going to check it out (No, I'm not an AMC fan for all you mad men people, ugh!). But I kept hearing about the show and reading up on it, so I got interested. One person wrote that "Rubicon" wasn't like anything else AMC had produced. I decided to give it a try.

Within the opening credits some old guy commits suicide, and the camera tilts down to reveal a four-leaf clover. Hmm... okay, a clue to remember. Then we get into a think tank of code breakers. Not so much clues the audience needs to pick up, but a lot of character development. These people are smart, especially Will Travers, the main character. We start to see some connections between the co-workers and then BOOM, another guy dead (or is he?!?). About half-way through the show I start considering every new character the next dead person. But there were no more deaths, just a lot of clue finding and breaking to try to uncover the plot.

I'm not sure how the show will run; if this one puzzle will carry through the season or the series. But so far I really like it. I've only watched two of the three episodes, and I've heard the third one is amazing. I like that the show doesn't drag on the puzzle pieces; once Will finds a clue he can usually break it, or find someone else that can (like that old, retired guy). I know we haven't met all the pieces to this puzzle, but what's even more interesting is that the pieces/characters are really well developed. Everything is interconnected and has meaning. A show that makes you wonder what's around the corner, and doesn't make that corner too far off.

Check it out when you can! Just be sure you're not too sleepy or trying to do something else at the same time. "Rubicon" is a show where you must pay attention, because every detail is of value. "Rubicon" is on Sunday nights, 9/8c, AMC.

No comments:

Post a Comment