Monday, May 9, 2016

Don't Miss the Best TV Has to Offer

As I mentioned in the last post, TV has certainly changed in the past three years. There are a thousand channels and countless streaming options on the Internet. And there are so many good programs available now. It's hard to know what's quality work. How are you certain not to miss the best that's out there?

First step, follow the TV News. Trust me, there are a lot of TV critics and bloggers out there, and a select few get the inside scoop and can tell you what to keep an eye out for. My two favorites are TVLine and Entertainment Weekly.

Second step, start watching TV! A few shows that pretty much all TV fans will agree are excellent (in no particular order): Game of Thrones, Orphan Black, and The Americans. You may also like NCIS, Grey's Anatomy, Big Bang Theory or Empire - all top rated shows by Nielsen Ratings.

But what if you're not watching these shows? That's the beauty of the age that we're living in. You can find just about anything on the Internet, Hulu, Amazon, or Netflix.

For example: I'm currently catching up on The Americans. I had heard it was going to be a good show when it first debuted in 2013. I don't know why I didn't start watching it then, but I've consistently heard good things over the past three years. Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys play KGB spies on American soil set in the1980s. Last month I decided I needed to start watching it. I was three years too late, but I knew I had to start at the beginning. So I first checked the FX app (The Americans is on FX, Wednesdays at 10pm), but no luck. Next I tried streaming Hulu or Netflix.  Still no luck. But I could order the DVDs from Netflix and catch up three shows at a time. In the past two weeks I'm already done with season one. And let me say, it did not disappoint. I'm already getting season two this week and can't wait to catch up to watching it live.

Because that's the goal: to watch TV shows when they're current. To be part of the dialogue as it's happening, not three years too late. But sometimes that doesn't always happen, and it's okay. There are tons of shows that were great and no longer running that you should probably go catch up on. Here's just a few shows to get you started:

30Rock
Parks & Rec
Scrubs
Gilmore Girls
Friday Night Lights
Sons of Anarchy
Friends
How I Met Your Mother
Sopranos
SixFeetUnder
Dexter

So don't miss out on the best that TV has to offer. Get to work, starting watching some amazing shows! They won't disappoint!

No comments:

Post a Comment